ANKARA: on Tuesday, state media said, A Turkish court has order to closure of pro-Kurdish newspaper condemning it link with Kurdish militants and spreading terrorist misinformation.
State-run news agency Anadolu said, Istanbul court has claimed, pro-Kurdish Ozgur Gundem “acting as the de facto news outlet” for the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and A Turkish official confirmed the court order.
Turkey, consider the PKK a terrorist group, the European Union and the United States- has waged a nationalist rebellion in the southeast since 1984. More than 40,000 people have been killed since it first took up arms.
The official, who didn’t disclose his name said, the decision of state emergency declared not influenced by last month’s failed coup in Turkey. “The defendants can appeal this decision,” the official added.
Ozgur Gundem, has been launched in 1992, it is lefties daily the decision is followed by raids in the past and its journalists have been arrested. It was closed from 1994 until April 2011 when it started publishing again.
The newspaper has highlighted the writings of PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan, who has been imprisoned since 1999.
According to the latest figures of the month, the Turkish-Kurdish language newspaper circulation is of less than 7,000.
After a state of emergency was declared, more than 130 media outlets have been closed since coup attempted from 15th July.
The official gazette said, on 27th July 45 newspapers and 16 television stations were ordered to close, assistance concern among Western leaders and press freedom organizations.
On Tuesday, the New York-based Human Rights Foundation (HRF) claim the United Nations to look into “credible allegations of gross human rights violations in Turkey” following the failed coup aimed at ousting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Before the court order, HRF also said that Turkish journalists faced “constant threats and reckoning for their work, and are often stressed and prosecuted under criminal laws designed to stifle government criticism”.